People, I’m glad we could all put our differences aside for a moment to collectively say FUCK YOU to 2016. If only we had that kind of consensus on actual shit and not a 12-month span of time, but I digress. Before I go into a quick round-up of Shit That Did Not Suck For Me in 2016, I wanna announce January’s POC Travel Book Club pick, Meeting Faith: The Forest Journals of A Black Buddhist Nun by Faith Adiele. We’ll be discussing it on Sunday, February 5th at 1pm EST over Google Hangout. Sign up here if you haven’t already. Read or die! Now for a few things I accomplished in 2016:
- Debuting a mini-doc on decolonizing travel culture and having my first essay published in a book, bklyn boihood’s anthology Outside The XY: Queer Black and Brown Masculinity
- Having work published in Bitch Magazine, Apogee Journal and Archer Magazine
- Speaking on panels at the Queens Book Festival, Comic Con NYC and reading at the Asian-American Writer’s Workshop
- Meeting Edwidge Fucking Danticat, Jamaica Fucking Kincaid, and Dr. Sam Waymon, musician, composer, activist and Nina Simone’s brother
- Being invited as a faculty assistant for VONA’s travel writing workshop for people of color and other travels
Here’s to a less shitty 2017!